Serving Portland and Hawthorne
When discussing the possibility of dental implant surgery with interested patients, we often find that many people have misinformation about the procedure. Finding credible information about dental implants has proven to be difficult for some, so we have decided to put the most common myths surrounding dental implants to rest in an attempt to educate and protect consumers.
Below is a brief overview of the most common dental implant myths we have encountered. We encourage you to contact us directly for more information or to book your dental implant consultation today!
Common Dental Implant Myths
- Dental implants have a low success rate. Dental implants have a success rate of over 95% for healthy individuals. This tooth restoration technology has been around for decades and is proven to be the most successful method in restoring oral functioning due to tooth loss.
- I’m too old for dental implants. There is no age cut off for dental implant surgery. The condition of your health is much more important than your age. If you are concerned you are too old for dental implants, contact us right away for a consultation in which we will discern the risk factors, if any, of dental implant surgery.
- Dental implants are far too expensive. We hear this a great deal, and we understand that the initial sticker shock can be difficult to process. It is important that you remember that other forms of tooth restoration technology require replacements periodically. While dental implants are created to last a lifetime. Each implant typically costs $1800-$2400 with added costs if bone grafting is needed.
- Regular and mini implants are the same. Mini implants are designed to be temporary and aid in the healing process of dental prosthetics. They are not a good alternative for regular implants as they are not designed for permanency and cannot support a dental prosthetic.
- Dental implants require more maintenance. Your new implants do require care however daily brushing and flossing with biannual dental checkups are suffice.