TMJ Disorder and Treatment
Serving Portland and Hawthorne
The temporomandibular joints connect the lower jaw to the skull. The TM joints allow you to talk, chew, yawn and eat. These extremely diligentjoints can become compromised for a variety of reasons, which can cause challenges in functioning as well as extreme discomfort. Issues with the functioning of the TM joints are commonly called TMJ disorders. Those who suffer from TMJ disorders in the Portland, OR area often endure a variety of symptoms. Typical TMJ disorder symptoms include:
- Intense and reoccurring headaches
- Difficulties chewing and talking
- Pain in the jaw
- Sinus pressure
- Constrained range of motion in the jaw
- Unusually noises emitted from the jaw
What causes TMJ Disorders?
TMJ disorders can manifest from a variety of different causes. Car accidents, injuries to the head or face area, genetics, and arthritis have all been known to contribute to the development of TMJ issues. Furthermore, stress tends to exacerbate TMJ disorders.
What are the treatment options for TMJ Disorders?
If you are suffering from a TMJ disorder in the SE Portland area, there is relief in sight. Before treatment options are examined, proper diagnosis of the TMJ order is needed. TMJ joints are complex, and symptoms of a TMJ disorder could actually be due to a different ailment. It is prudent that a careful diagnosis from a seasoned professional takes place to ensure the solution will effectively treat the problem. A thorough diagnosis of a TMJ disorder will commonly include ultrasounds, x-rays, and motion performance analysis.
Once an official diagnosis has been made, treatment options for a TMJ disorder can be entertained. Treatment for TMJ disorders need to be tailored to the specific needs of each individual. What works for one person, may not work for the next. Options for treatment include:
- Splints: Custom designed orthotics used to put the jaw back in place and provide stability.
- Physical therapy: This is a proven treatment that effectively decreases pain associated with a TMJ disorder, alleviates inflammation, and fosters healing for the jaw.
- Medication: Depending on the symptoms you are dealing with, there may be a medication that can help promote healing.
- Dietary Plan:Changing your diet may be necessary to assist the treatment process.